Makes 8 servings
- 2 cups cooked brown rice (short or long grain), cooled
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
- 5 cups finely chopped kale
- ½ cup dried cranberries (or raisins)
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 1½ tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons tahini (sesame-seed paste)
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- ½ teaspoon smoked red paprika
- Sea salt and black pepper (as desired)
Mix together rice, chickpeas, kale, and dried cranberries in a large bowl. In a small bowl, mix together lemon juice and zest, red wine vinegar, tahini, ginger, paprika, and sea salt and black pepper as desired. Pour dressing over salad and combine well. Mix well to redistribute ingredients before serving. Store in an airtight container for up to three days.
Note: This recipe is delicious served slightly warm; this can be accomplished by using freshly cooked hot rice.
Nutritional information per serving: 240 calories, 7 g protein, 5 g fat, 0 g saturated fat, 44 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 11 g sugar, 32 mg sodium.