Makes 4 servings
- 2 small eggplants
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ˝ red onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 bell pepper (green, yellow, or red), diced
- 1 cup mushrooms (e.g., oyster, shiitake, brown), diced
- 1 teaspoon parsley flakes
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium red miso paste
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1˝ cups cooked quinoa
- 1 cup cooked kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
Preheat oven to 350° F. Trim the stem ends from the eggplants and slice the eggplants in half lengthwise. Scoop out the inside to create a shell with about 3/4 inch of flesh remaining on the eggplant skin. (Reserve scooped-out flesh for soup, stews, or stir-fries.) Heat oil in a large sauté pan or skillet and sauté onion with garlic and ginger for 2 minutes. Add bell pepper and sauté for 2 minutes. Add mushrooms, parsley flakes, red miso paste, soy sauce, and vinegar, and sauté for an additional 2 minutes, stirring well to distribute ingredients. Fold in cooked quinoa, kidney beans, and sesame seeds and stir well. Fill eggplant shells with quinoa filling, heaping it on top.
Place in a baking dish with 1 tablespoon water on the bottom of the dish. Bake uncovered for about 40 minutes, until filling is golden and eggplant is tender.
Nutritional information per serving: 264 calories, 13 g protein, 3 g fat, 0 g saturated fat, 46 g carbohydrate, 17 g fiber, 9 g sugar, 500 mg sodium.